- Learn my way around the library print collection! I have used the online Destiny catalog and reports to try and get a sense of what is there and how it circulates, but I still want to go in and touch books and see exactly how the collection is physically arranged.
- Check out the subscription databases! I have an email in to my Ebsco rep to walk me through what we have already, and what else might be available. Note to self: ask rep about checking the usage of these sites.
- Find out who (teachers) already use the library, and how. I wonder if I make a quick online survey and email it to staff, will anyone respond? (This is like the tree falling in the woods question.)
- Check, is the library the meeting place or the meeting place? Does it get used for every meeting in the building and does that either bring people in to use the library or cause the library to be closed to individual and groups? Other meeting place, do students actually choose to come to the library? Why or why not. How can we improve on that? I want to form a student advisory board with a broad spectrum of students both to support existing users and to encourage those who do not feel welcomed.
- Virtual 24/7 accessibility. Beyond school databases, what other vehicles are in place to assist students beyond the school day? What do they really need to help themselves?
- Cutting edge technology tools. Are the students using cell phones for learning? (Are they allowed?) Can QR codes help learning and increase interest? Kindles or nooks? iPods? Anything beyond PowerPoint as a final product? I have a QR code for the library home page, maybe I will make book marks to pass out that have this link and also a survey for students? I have started a LiveBinder page, want to create a "virtual book shelf", what other suggestions do you have?
- Building connections. With staff, students, other high school librarians? Is there anything that works better than chocolate?
- PLN? I have found some great blogs by high school folk, and am following some tweeters who talk books with high school themes. I just need to continue to use these and other resources when the school year is in full swing.
- ??? Everything I have forgotten, that nagging feeling that keeps me awake at night, like tonight!