Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What a day!

Does your teaching schedule fill up this time of year?  Everyone decides it is time to get in that research project they have been putting off all year?  Today I had classes of kindergarten all day, doing their "research" from their life sciences strand.  It was fun, it was crazy, and it was loud!  I loved it -- most of it anyway.  By the 4th class I finally wised up and asked a fifth grade class, who needed to review life cycles, to come in and help out the Ks.  When everyone arrived, I explained to the Ks that as scientists they were continuing their study of zoo animals (after a visit to the zoo) by using books.  Because scientists had research assistants, I was providing them each a 5th grader to assist them as they searched for answers to their questions.   It was awesome! ( I will upload clips from my flip camera as soon as I figure out how.)  My cozy library space was full of bodies and their was a steady hum of noise, but the productive sounds, not just noisy.  It was a positive learning experience for both groups.
I do love my job.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Awesome! I love how you empowered the kindergarteners and framed this! Can't wait until we can chat in person!