Sunday, February 06, 2011

How did you spend your snow days?

I think most of us in the U.S. have had several calamity days this school year.  I had two this past week.  How did I spend them?  Reading books, mostly.  I brought back a whole bag of ARCs from ALA midwinter and I couldn't get out, so what's a girl to do?  (Housework, laundry, writing deadlines, actually all needed done!)  Just a few of the ARCs I enjoyed were: a new book by Kevin Henkes "Junonia," a chapter book for middle grade readers  A gentle, yet realistic story that shows nothing stays the same, but change is good.  "Across the Universe" by Beth Revis is a young adult title that takes place on space ship "Godspeed" transporting selected frozen people to create a new world on a new planet and save the human race.  They will be on this ship for 300 years, asleep -- except for Amy who is mysteriously awakened 50 years too early. This book has teen romance and angst.  The teen book I liked better was "Unearthly" by Cynthia Hand about Clara, who discovers she is one quarter angel, with certain gifts to be developed and a divine purpose to be done.  The characters are likable, the plot different, and the ending hard to predict.  The last book I read (to avoid doing I what needed to do ...) was "The Unseen World of Poppy Malone."  I loved this middle grade reader.  The parents are real life ghost hunters, but not very successful.  Poppy and her brother do NOT believe in ghosts, vampires, or any of the creatures their parents try to hunt, .... until Poppy accidentally finds the Goblin living the the house they just moved into.  Her brother and baby sibling get pulled into the adventure that ensues while the parents are blissfully unaware as they continue to try to contact the presence in the house.  After reading these, guilt set in and I got busy with my deadlines.
I am still struggling with my professional reflection portfolio which I am completing for professional development, which I must go and work on right now .....

No comments: