Monday, January 17, 2011

Do you have an individual professional development plan?

I do, two actually.  The first is my own professional goals, where I see myself in 5 years, 10 years.  The things I want to accomplish, including articles I want to write, that book idea that is percolating in the back of my brain, roles I want to play in my professional organizations.  I also have my plan for my teaching and learning year with my students, my plan for collection development, and more. 
My other IPDP is the one required by my district.  I'm not complaining, I agree fully that I should have a plan in accordance with district goals.  My issue is with the format for this plan, it is very much like pushing a square block into a round space.  It would be so much easier for me to craft a narrative that describes my ideas and goals. 
Oh well, back to work ... wish me luck!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

The best professional development plan I had to do for work was when we adopted the Buckalew plan. I got to write a personal goal and a professional goal. We used them at our observation conferences. I worked harder to meet those self-directed goals than I did with any other template. Even to this day, an annual goal helps get me on the road to getting it done.