Thursday, February 16, 2012

Parent Teacher Night

As you can probably guess from the title of this post, I am sitting in my library during Parent Teacher conferences.  Obviously NOT conferencing with parents.  Is there something wrong with this picture?  Should we as teacher-librarians seek out opportunities like this to have more formal talks with parents?  I have had several pleasant conversations with parents who have stopped by, and even more with wayward students wandering the halls, but not of these had educational merit.  I did not have a conversation about learning.    Maybe we should start!  What kind of projects could we collaborate on that would involve students and parents visiting the media center for a true conversation about the learning that occurred?
I don't know about you, but this is something I will be pondering and by the next conference night I will have an authentic reason to be here!!  Please share any ideas you have, and especially if you have had teaching and learning moments you have shared with parents.

No comments: