Sunday, January 01, 2012

Reading, researching, and reflecting, first post of 2012

I don't believe in New Year's resolutions.  As soon as someone, anyone, tells me I can't do something I will try everything in my power to do it.  Hence my love/hate relationships with exercise and weight loss plans.  Yes, I was the one who fasted all day before a weigh in, then celebrated by dinner at DQ!
So why am I embarking on an inquiry into exercise equipment? Is it masochism, or the sad fact that time marches on and my metabolism has sunk into its own depression?  I'll never tell which one, but I am actually researching home gym equipment.  (Maybe I am just honing my research skills?)  Whatever comes of this I am seriously planning my approach to this new year. 

Everyone I follow (PLN guys, not stalking!) seems to be able to organize their reading and reader response so that it is easily available to share with others.  I have accounts for: Goodreads, LibraryThing, Google, Amazon,  and a blog, a wiki, a webpage, and even a Moodle account.  Do I use any of them in a consistent fashion to record my books? Well .......

Therefore, this year I pledge, here for everyone to read and hold me accountable, that I will pick ONE site and use it to catalog and share my reading for 2012!  Feel free to place bets at this time.  So, if anyone reading this has one site in particular that they would like to advocate for as the best site to choose, I would love to hear from you. 

Just in case you do not see the connection between my two thoughts today, high on the list of necessities for my "alleged" exercise tool is a book rack, or an iPod connection so that I can read or listen to books as I "work out."  My personal theme for this year is Enriching the Body and Mind, so I will be reading about topics of professional interest as well as for pure enjoyment.  Suggestions?

  I just read the article http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/12/what-americans-keep-ignoring-about-finlands-school-success/250564/ (thanks for the post, Kristin) which in turn caused me to check out what Finland thinks about its school libraries.  Turns out, not so much, which now requires further reflection.  Read the article above, then read "The Role of the Principal in an Information Literate School Community: An International Panel?  http://farrer.csu.edu.au/principal/survey/report/paper_FI.html
After you read and reflect (while exercising, perhaps?)  I would love to read your thoughts and  comments about this interesting educational thread.
And by the way, Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Deb Frazier said...

Liz-
I use Shelfari in my first grade classroom and LOVE IT~Many of the people in my PLN LOVE Good Reads for older kids (adults).
Good Luck!